Monday, April 25, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake Trifle


I first created this lovely dessert last June. My mother in law always requests strawberry shortcake as her birthday dessert. I volunteered to make it, but much to my chagrin (though not my surprise- these are tricky!) my biscuits didn't rise.

Rather than toss the bunch and start over, I tore them into pieces, threw them in a bowl and layered in sugared strawberries and homemade whipped cream. And so, the strawberry shortcake trifle was born.

I volunteered to bring a dessert for Easter and immediately thought of this. Plus I said I'd make it for Nick's aunt for her birthday...in February. Well, better late than never.

If you wanted to make this easy-peasy, you could get yourself those biscuits in a can. Grands Flaky Layers is my canned biscuit of choice- how much do you love banging that can on the counter? Don't lie!

I decided to go all fancypants and make my biscuits from scratch. I used the Pioneer Woman's recipe which is in her PHENOMENAL cookbook. It's so good, in fact, I won't share it. Nope. You'll just have to your own copy here.

I did take pictures of the process, so please enjoy. Don't drool on your keyboards.


Standard biscuit procedure here. Use a pastry cutter to cut in some butter and shortening (for shame! I know, but I swear it made a difference.)

Throw in some buttermilk and stir 'til raggedy.

Dump it out on a floured surface and roll to your desired thickness. Mine were kind of a mishmash since I knew I was going to rip them all up anyways.


Check out those flaky layers, y'all. I knew these bad boys were gonna rise before they even hit the heat.

Gather up the scraps and repeat the above steps.


Oh.
My.

God.

Good lord these were good. Good enough to eat a "test" biscuit. Had to make sure it was...flaky enough. It was.

Wash off some berries. I used 4 pounds.

Glamour shot!

Dish lady diva approves of the sugared berries- I added 1/2 cup.

Stir it up and let it hang for 10-15 minutes- you want those juices flowing.

Line up your dishes and sprinkle some biscuit in each. If I had a trifle dish, I would have used that.

Instead, I thought, "Single serve! Too cute!"

Ha. It was cute until they clanged to holy hell on the drive over. Potholes + wine glasses = stress.

Easter miracle!? None of them broke.

Top the biscuit layer with some berries. Add a dollop of whipped cream. Repeat as desired.

I got 12 servings + a large mason jar out of 1 biscuit recipe + 4 pounds of strawberries + 2 1/2 containers of Cool Whip...

I seriously contemplated not coming clean about the Cool Whip. It's not even dairy!! But y'all deserve the truth and the truth is the two stores I went to were OUT of heavy whipping cream.

Cross my heart, hope to die.



Assembly instructions:

Cook up some biscuits- I used one recipe of the Pioneer Woman's buttermilk biscuit. YUM.

Tear them up into bite sized pieces.

Wash and slice up 4 pounds of strawberries. Add 1/2 cup sugar and stir 'til all berries are equally coated.

Whip up your cream or buy the frozen stuff. Add some vanilla or sugar if you like things extra sweet.

In a trifle dish, or if you're not traveling by car, in a wine glass, layer the biscuit first, berry second, and whipped cream. Repeat as many times as you want.

Garnish with half a berry if you're feeling cutesy.

Eat. And share. If you want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment