Monday, March 22, 2010

Gingerbread with brown sugar buttercream frosting



Let's pretend this is an artsy shot and not one that I took because I still don't understand the finer techniques of a point-&-shoot digital camera.

My name is Sarah and I bake square cakes. I don't bake them to be cool or different. I bake them, simply, because I have no round cake pans. I know, I should get some and conform. Boo.

I do have a cake stand, but it's nestled safely in my basement. I once had a lovely three tiered cookie stand that was unsafely perched atop the refrigerator. Strangely enough, it came crashing down (on me) one fateful, glass-filled day. So, you see, I could use the cake stand, but really, it must be saved from my treacherous grasp and wayward storage.

Since we've already discussed a few of my faults, let's move on to another.

I don't know when to quit.



Too much of a good thing actually exists.

I know! I was shocked, too.

I met this too-good thing today in the form of delicious gingerbread doused with brown sugar buttercream. Sounds awesome in theory, right? Spicy cake topped with a lovely condiment. But no, it's actually just too much. Separately, they are excellent, which is why I am sharing these recipes. Don't blame them for my excessive behavior.

But I ask you, implore you, beg you- DO NOT BE LIKE ME. Don't combine them. Leave the tender spiced cake alone. Pair the boldly sugared buttercream with another cake.



Now, I am left with a conundrum. As you see, I only ate a small square of this cake. I should not eat anymore, for reasons already discussed. Do I send this cake with the husband to work? It's not much to look at. Decisions, decisions.

Adapted from The Sweet Melissa Baking Book Guinness Gingerbread

2 cups of Killians Irish Red beer, reduced to 1 cup
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup molasses
2/3 cup canola oil

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 2 8 inch square Pyrex baking dishes.

Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk to combine.

In a separate bowl, whisk the reduced beer, eggs, white sugar, brown sugar, molasses, and canola oil.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir gently to combine. Batter will be very wet.

Split the batter between the two pans. Place on the middle rack and bake 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.


Brown sugar buttercream

Soften 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter. Measure out 2 cups of powdered sugar and 1 cup packed brown sugar. Blitz in mixer with 2-3 tablespoons cream until fully combined.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the comment on my blog!
    As for gingerbread cake and buttercream, it does sound wonderful! Perhaps, it was just an overload of sugar and spices! Looks good regardless!

    ReplyDelete