Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Lemon buttermilk pecan pound cake

I have an affinity for naming things.
I'll name anything- plants, cars, outfits, recipes.
I especially enjoy including all the important elements in a name- see title for example.

I was going to take pictures of the entire process- from ingredients to finished product. But in true tunnel vision fashion- I took one picture of the ingredients and promptly forgot to capture any of the other moments in this pound cake's creation.

So here's the recipe and a picture of the ingredients. I'd take a picture of the finished product, but after I ate a fourth of the loaf by myself, I sent the rest to work with the husband.

Lemon buttermilk pecan pound cake
*One note- this is totally not a real pound cake, but it weighs at least a pound and is cake-like. Technicalities be damned!

Preheat oven to 375 and grease a large loaf pan.

In a large bowl, combine the following:

2/3 cup white sugar
zest of two lemons
2 1/2 cups of AP flour (I used unbleached from Trader Joe's)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

In a large glass measuring cup, combine the wet stuff:

3/4 cup light sour cream
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 eggs + 1 egg yolk (I used large eggs)
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 stick butter, melted and lightly browned & cooled (P.S. Don't do this in a black bottomed pan- 'cause then you can't see how brown it is- DUH!)

Add wet stuff to dry stuff- mix completely but gently. Fold in:

1 cup toasted pecans, chopped but not too small- you want to know what you're eating (toast them in the leftover drips of butter in the pan 'til fragrant)

Spread batter- it'll be kind of stretchy looking- into the greased loaf pan.

Bake 45 minutes- test with wooden skewer or chopstick to make sure middle is set.

As another side note, I have an affinity for gilding the lily- I just can't leave well enough alone. This is what led me to glazing the top of my golden loaf with a lemon juice and agave nectar reduction.

DON'T BE LIKE ME!

It was sticky and sour and added approximately no enjoyment to the loaf.

If you truly need to glaze, make a buttermilk/powdered sugar glaze or some such nonsense.

Oh yeah- here are the ingredients...

No comments:

Post a Comment